Re: Learning troff - where to start?

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: Learning troff - where to start?
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 02:49:11 +0200

> About the only thing I like about Tex better is it does
> multiple passes so you can do forward references.
> Troff makes that hard but it is doable.

I don't think TeX actually does that by itself.  *You* have
to call TeX multiple times.

Forward references work by writing the required information
to an external file (e.g., for LaTeX the .aux file), which
is read when the manuscript is processed a further time.

With groff, you can also use a macro package that does
something similar, so I think there is no fundamental
difference in this regard.