Re: Learning troff - where to start?

From: Larry McVoy
Subject: Re: Learning troff - where to start?
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 17:31:32 -0700

I'd like to second this sentiment.  Learning troff itself is for people
who want to write macro package[s].  If you just want to format stuff,
you pick a macro package and learn that.

Personally, I've tried -ms, then tried -me, I went back to -ms.
-ms covers most of the bases and it is pretty simple to learn.  I think
there is another Larry here who did a -mom macro package that people like,
I've not tried that, I'd push you towards -ms and -mom.  And if you are
writing man pages, like Federico said, -man.

The O'Reilly book is still useful because it covers, I believe, all the
preprocessors, pic, tbl, eqn, maybe grap, and that's where you should
be putting some learning energy.

Have fun with roff, it is a *great* system.  I've been program committee
chair for Linux expo back in the day (all that meant was I formatted all
the papers into the proceedings), this was back in 1999 and mostly people
used Tex.  I encouraged people to try troff and the people that did came
back to me say "Wow, this is so easy and the formatting is so fast".  Yes
it is.

About the only thing I like about Tex better is it does multiple passes
so you can do forward references.  Troff makes that hard but it is doable.

Have fun!  Ask questions, we'll answer.

--
---
Larry McVoy                  lm at mcvoy.com