Re: Learning troff - where to start?

From: Jan Stary
Subject: Re: Learning troff - where to start?
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 16:23:46 +0200

On Oct 14 12:41:35, peter@schaffter.ca wrote:
> What difficulties do you have entering UTF8 directly into the
> source?  I've produced groff documents in most of the Western
> European and Scandinavian languages with direct UTF8 input.  Are
> your troubles with languages other than those?

For instance, Czech UTF8 input (attached), will come out as garbage.

groff -Tps   text.t > text.ps
groff -Tpdf  text.t > text.pdf
groff -Tutf8 text.t > text.utf8

AFAIK, the input has to be preprocessed by preconv(1),
invoked by groff -k; is that what you meant? Then

        groff -k -Tutf8 text.t > text.utf8

outputs the input, while

        groff -k -Tps   text.t > text.ps
        groff -k -Tpdf  text.t > text.pdf

complain about

        troff: text.t:1: warning: can't find special character 'u0072_030C'

- I probably miss the fonts that groff would use for these characters.

Anyway, UTF8 is UTF8; I don't understand why there would be a difference
for this or that language, if UTF8 covers characters of both.

Jan