Re: Groff macro to make .UR and .UE links clickable in PDF?

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: Groff macro to make .UR and .UE links clickable in PDF?
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 22:15:43 +0200

Michael Pirkola wrote in
<20200717123254.3aff0148@walrus>:
 |On Sat, 11 Jul 2020 09:28:45 +0100
 |Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
 |
 |> On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 11:26:46AM -0400, Steve Izma wrote:
 |>> I think it's an abomination that a man page extends it's line
 |>> length to fit the width of the terminal; built into the macros
 |>> should be a 65- or 70 character maximum width.
 |>
 |> I'd be willing to take a bug report about the way that man-db does
 |> this by default; it's a change I adopted from Andries Brouwer's man
 |> way back in 2001, and I'm certainly prepared to entertain the idea
 |> that a change I made nearly half my life ago might have been wrong.
 |> (However, I would like it as a bug report on e.g.
 |> https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=man-db rather than buried in a
 |> mailing list thread, because my ability to keep track of random
 |> threads isn't quite what it used to be.)
 |>

 |While I agree that a shorter line length is more readable, I frequently
 |exit a manpage, maximise the terminal window, then reopen it when my
 |goal is to quickly scan the page for a relevant option.  I find argument
 |lists in particular much easier to look through when they take up fewer
 |lines.  Manpages in particular are less likely to have large paragraphs
 |of text, and a long line length commonly reduces an entire topic to a
 |single line which I also find more convenient.
 |
 |Just my 2¢.

I also have $MANWIDTH set for long.

  $ man man|grep -A 8 MANWIDTH
       MANWIDTH
              If $MANWIDTH is set, its value is used as the  line  length  for
              which  manual pages should be formatted.  If it is not set, man‐
              ual pages will be formatted with a line  length  appropriate  to
              the  current terminal (using the value of $COLUMNS, and ioctl(2)
              if available, or falling back to 80  characters  if  neither  is
              available).   Cat pages will only be saved when the default for‐
              matting can be used, that is when the terminal  line  length  is
              between 66 and 80 characters.

--steffen