Re: Groff macro to make .UR and .UE links clickable in PDF?

From: B 9
Subject: Re: Groff macro to make .UR and .UE links clickable in PDF?
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 23:59:32 -0700

Steve Izma <sizma@golden.net> wrote:

> Anyway, my strategies for typesetting for a printed document:
> [...]

Since you had such excellent suggestions, I'd like your advice about
something I've noticed: printed materials often omit the protocol when
it is "https://"; or "http://";. That makes sense to me and I am
inclined to change the way the .URL macro in the WWW package works so
it does the same (when no link text is specified).

For example,

    .URL https://foo.bar.com/fred/juki/

would be displayed (in PDF, HTML, and nroff) as simply

    foo.bar.com/fred/juki/

Steve, what do you think of this practice?

Everyone: Would anyone object if .URL used this strategy for cleaner
typesetting? Note that in the rare cases where someone needed to
emphasize the protocol, they could simply repeat the URL a second time
as the link text.

    .URL  https://foo.bar.com/fred/juki/  https://foo.bar.com/fred/juki/

would be displayed as

    https://foo.bar.com/fred/juki/