Re: Groff macro to make .UR and .UE links clickable in PDF?

From: Steve Izma
Subject: Re: Groff macro to make .UR and .UE links clickable in PDF?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 14:30:56 -0400

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 01:48:02PM -0400, T. Kurt Bond wrote:
> Subject: Re: Groff macro to make .UR and .UE links clickable in PDF?
>
> > Everyone: Would anyone object if .URL used this strategy for cleaner
> > typesetting?
>
> Please don't do this: there are still web sites out there that only
> respond to www.website.tld and not to website.tld.

Okay, then; here's another guideline (related to one I've
mentioned before): reduce the size of a URL by all possible means
until the result is the smallest one that works. In other words,
don't display a URL that doesn't work.

On the other hand, you could also replace any mention of a URL
with the phrase "search for ... using your favourite Internet
search engine". That's not only a clearer use of language and way
easier to typeset, but it's also likely to survive the
disappearance of a website or the relocation of pages.

        -- Steve

--
Steve Izma
-

==
I have always felt the necessity to verify what to many seemed a
simple multiplication table.
        -- Ilya Ehrenburg (Soviet author and critic; he's not
           talking about mathematics)