Re: [Groff] mom : unicode in .INCLUDE'd files

From: E. Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] mom : unicode in .INCLUDE'd files
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 09:39:57 +0200

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 21:49:08 +0100
Deri James <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

> It ought to work if you include:-

> -P-yU

> On the pdfmom command line. This should tell gropdf to use the U- foundry, so
> you don't have to alter the
> actual mom document.

Works perfectly for me.  There is always more than one way to skin a
cat...

   So definitely my problem is solved.

Thanks! Erich

ps. OT

Let me add a word to the MS Windows discussion.

   At work, I have to use that OS and the MS WORD nightmare, ok I'm not
a WORD wizard, but when my colleagues have a problem with WORD (who
doesn't?), they ask me.  I really are not ranting about a program
that I don't know.

   I got the impression that no one of those Word Processor Users
will ever use groff or tex.  This is not a question of "who's
got the better arguments".  I fear it is their basic assumption
"it has to work by itself".  Just like someone who sits in a car,
expecting that this car will transport him to any location he wants
to, streets or not, without any interference from him as the driver.
Heavens how often did I have this conversation:

- Hey Erich, where is my document, did _you_ delete it?
- What document?
- That protocol thing I wrote last week.
- Where did you save it?
- What do you mean 'where did I save it'?  In WORD of course!
- What is the name of your protocol?
  (...)

   WORD is very easy in it's first steps, as long as your Documents
have only two or three pages of length, as long as you have only
very simple paragraphs and simplistic tables and as long as you don't
want to do some black magic as add or remove or change the numbering
of headings...it invites its users "do everything in one place"
and "create fancy word art in 5 minutes".  Most of the WORD people
I know don't even learn to use Styles and automatic formatting.
Thus, when they want a greater distance between paragraphs, they
just hit the enter button twice, and when they want to write a list,
they hit the tab button and enter the item numbering by hand, and go
on entering the indentation with the tab button, if not with simple
Spaces, each single line, after which they complain how complicated
this is.  Even the WORD nightmare can do better, you just have to
learn it which isn't so hard after all.  But it is a reality.  Not even
WORD works by itself alone.

   Now I imagine one of those WORD users looking at - a command line,
or, Lord Jesus save us all, - a pipe, or, now the world is going
to end, - follow this thread on sourcing and utf'es and processing
and preconv'ing...

   No chance, and not even because WORD has flaws, but because of
a wholistic mentality against IT on any level.  Imagine, some weeks ago
someone told me: "You know, I have my problems with these new
technologies." He was talking about email.  He was actually calling
email a "new technology"!  So what do we expect?

No offence meant.