Re: [Groff] mom : unicode in .INCLUDE'd files

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] mom : unicode in .INCLUDE'd files
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 13:04:50 +0100

Hi Erich,

> > >     $ soelim foo | preconv | groff -Tutf8 | grep .
> > >     $ groff -V -Tutf8 -sk foo
> > >     preconv foo | soelim | troff -Tutf8 | grotty
>     >preconv -eutf8 example.mom | soelim | troff -Tutf8 | grotty
>
> Output:
>
>     >        Abschnitt.DOCTYPE     DEFAULT UNICODE: Ä‐Ö‐Ü Ò‐Ó‐Ô‐Õ‐Ŏ‐Ō‐
>     > Ç ä‐ö‐ü‐ ß ò‐ó‐ô‐õ‐ŏ‐ō‐ ç so’eD FILE BEGINS: UNICODE: Ã‐Ã‐Ã  Ã‐Ã‐
>     > Ã‐Ã‐Å‐Å‐ à ä‐ö‐ü‐ à ò‐ó‐ô‐õ‐Å‐Å‐ ç

And that's faulty output since you didn't request `²', for example.

> But I want pdfmom and change that to
>
> preconv -eutf8 example.mom | soelim | pdfmom > example.preconv.pdf

And you're carrying the fault over.  My email that Peter replied to
above shows how groff gets the pipeline order wrong for your needs, and
thus -V's output is wrong too.

> As it seems, the preconv-pipe manages latin1, but not the "true"
> utf-8.

preconv is only processing example.mom, converting it to input groff can
read.  When groff does that, it sees the .so and goes off and reads a
second file, one that preconv hasn't converted.  That's you problem.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy