Re: [Groff] Still No Luck Accessing Characters From Zapf Dingbats (Or An

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] Still No Luck Accessing Characters From Zapf Dingbats (Or Any Other Strange Font)
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 12:06:50 +0200 (CEST)

Henry McGilton <address@hidden> wrote:

> I probably sound like a complete dummkopf in this illustrious group, but I
> have tried and
> failed with both Heirloom and regular groff.

ZD does work with Heirloom troff (and with DWB3.3 too), as I did already
wrote in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2015-12/msg00003.html.
It does work with default -Tps when loading an e.g. TTF font or it
does work directly with -Tpost:

echo "\f(ZD\N'37'"|troff -Tpost|dpost >/tmp/h.ps

The same with DWB3.3:

echo "\f(ZD\N'37'"|troff|dpost >/tmp/d.ps

Both show the telephone symbol.

> I must add that I maintained the DWB 2.0 suite of tools (including some I
> wrote myself) at
> Sun Microsystems and other venues from around 1984 through about 2007, at
> which
> point Apple decided in their Infinite Wisdom to break most of the DWB 2.0
> suite forever.
>
> During that time, I had no problems displaying ZD (we had a hack that
> created two fonts
> named Z1 and Z2, so that the characters from 161 through 254 could be
> accessed in
> using 7-bit ASCII character codes).
>
> So if there is anyone out there who has an actual document that accesses the
> ZD font
> and actually displays the desired result, I would very much appreciate
> seeing such a
> document.

As said, Heirloom with -Tpost or DWB3.3 works fine.

BTW: I'm not sure that DWB2.0 is really broken *forever*, the Heirloom source
code is not very different from DWB2.0 ;)

Surely groff works too, I just wanted to correct the statement that traditional
troff would not work.

--Carsten