Re: [Groff] Still No Luck Accessing Characters From Zapf Dingbats (Or An

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Still No Luck Accessing Characters From Zapf Dingbats (Or Any Other Strange Font)
Date: Sat, 07 May 2016 06:19:08 +0200 (CEST)

>     lately I decided to try, try, try again to obtain characters
>     from the Zapf Dingbats font.
>
> The documentation GROFF_DIFF(7) suggests that I should be able to
> inject a sequence to the effect:

        \f(ZD\N’37’

> (seems plausible) When I inject that sequence, I get the British
>  Standard Rectangular Lozenge which is groff’s way of telling me
>  that the glyph I want doesn’t exist.

This is the right sequence – however, your example uses Unicode quotes
(U+2019) as delimiters.  To make that work, you have to add option`-k'
to groff to call the `preconv' preprocessor, for example

  groff -k -Tps foo.tr > foo.ps

or

  groff -k -Tpdf foo.tr > foo.pdf

(assuming the above sequence is put into a file called `foo.tr' with
UTF-8 encoding) since groff's native input encoding is 8bit only,
normally latin1.

Using one of the two invocations, your example works just fine for me,
showing a small telephone.  In general, however, I recommend to use
ASCII characters only for control characters like delimiters; this
simply makes life easier :-)