Re: [Groff] OT: Fork of the Heirloom Documentation Tools for fixing bugs

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] OT: Fork of the Heirloom Documentation Tools for fixing bugs
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 11:34:48 +0200 (CEST)

> Glad to hear that the heirloom doctools are still being supported with
> bugfixes.  Thanks for this Carsten!

I have tried to contact Gunnar many times in several ways without success.
Fixing the bugs has become inevitable now...

> The heirloom refer implementation with lookbib and sortbib is more robust
> than the groff version, but groff's tbl seems more reliable on long tables.

If you have an example for a long table which does not reliable work I would be
interested to look into this.

> Additionally, the output with the traditional macro packages and without
> paragraph at once formatting is close to CAT troff (including the enhanced
> BSD versions), which makes sense and proves useful with historical
> documents like old man pages.

I hope groff is compatible regarding the processing of historical documents
too.  Except the man macros I usually don't use macro packages but the groff
requests seem to be compatible (fortunately also with \n(.C=0).

Please note that the repository has moved to
https://github.com/n-t-roff/heirloom-doctools

For discussing heirloom troff (and other non-groff specific macro packages and
tools) a mailing list will be set up to not misuse the groff list and annoy
groff-only list members (further ;).

Cheers,
Carsten