Re: [Groff] OT: Fork of the Heirloom Documentation Tools for fixing bugs

From: Dan Plassche
Subject: Re: [Groff] OT: Fork of the Heirloom Documentation Tools for fixing bugs
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 19:01:00 -0400

Glad to hear that the heirloom doctools are still being supported with
bugfixes.  Thanks for this Carsten!

I like being able to use groff pretty much everywhere to produce good
looking documents and appreciate that the program is still being developed
by an active community.   However, all my systems also have heirloom's
ditroff installed, so I thought I would give a few use cases and reasons
below.

>From a design standpoint I like that almost all of the doctools are coded
in C and use separate standalone binaries for different commands.  You can
tune them fairly easily, such as in setting the tmp file location for troff.

The heirloom refer implementation with lookbib and sortbib is more robust
than the groff version, but groff's tbl seems more reliable on long tables.

I personally find that the Unicode support and the otf font handling are
the clear wins in using the heirloom doctools.  The paragraph at once
adjustment also noticeably improves page layout on nroff and troff.

Additionally, the output with the traditional macro packages and without
paragraph at once formatting is close to CAT troff (including the enhanced
BSD versions), which makes sense and proves useful with historical
documents like old man pages.

Thanks,

Dan Plassche