Re: [Groff] OT: Fork of the Heirloom Documentation Tools for fixing?bugs

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] OT: Fork of the Heirloom Documentation Tools for fixing?bugs
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 17:07:20 +0100

On 26/08/14 16:38, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
>> In the not yet public version of `runoff.7', there is a table
>> consisting of several pages.  But in groff, it was impossible
>> to use a single table; I had to split each page as a table of
>> its own (both in nroff and troff).
>
> But that is a problem of the man macros, not groff in general.
>
> Normally you would do
>
>   .TS H
>   header common to all pages
>   .TH
>   table data, possibly several pages long
>   .TE

Indeed.  Just a couple of weeks ago, I tabulated the functions which
Microsoft's MSVCRT.DLL exports, vs. the respective Windows versions
which provide each.  After I'd selected a suitable compromise for font
size, such that it would remain legible while not overflowing the page
width, the table ran to 60 pages of landscape A4 without a hitch...

> but man has no real table support (TS and TE are mostly no-ops,
> and TH is used for a different purpose);  me has no problem
> with it.

...and I did mine with ms.

Keith.