Re: [Groff] character u21D5 is not available in groff

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] character u21D5 is not available in groff
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 14:35:54 +0200

> Von: "Denis M. Wilson" <address@hidden>
>
> The proper use of ellipsis in text is as punctuation, and depending on
> the font may be subject to kerning. So it's use from a symbol font may
> not have all the properties. On the other hand apparently .cflags works
> for symbols from other fonts, eg to declare a sentence terminator.
>
> I've just found that it's in text fonts under \[u2026]\[el]

\[U2026] prints an ellipsis and an additional space, so \[el] should be
better for the output.  Is \[u ....] globally available for getting
Unicode characters?

Moreover I do not understand, what \[u2026] should mean.  It looks like
a Unicode glyph/character, but I could not realize how.

> (Ted Harding) <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > .char \[el] \f[S]\N'188'\fP

Where is \N'188' better documented? groff.7 say only:

  \N’n’ Typeset the glyph with index n in the current font. No special
        fonts are searched. Useful for adding (named) entities to a
        document using the char request and friends.

What is this `index'?  Ehere did you get this number `188'?

Bernd Warken