Re: [Groff] character u21D5 is not available in groff

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] character u21D5 is not available in groff
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 16:02:22 +0200 (CEST)

> \[U2026] prints an ellipsis and an additional space, so \[el] should
> be better for the output.  Is \[u ....] globally available for
> getting Unicode characters?

Yes and no.

> Moreover I do not understand, what \[u2026] should mean.  It looks
> like a Unicode glyph/character, but I could not realize how.

Please read section `Using Symbols' in the groff info manual.  While
the notation `\[uXXXX]' intentionally resembles Unicode input
characters, it will return errors for fonts that don't have such
glyphs.  If you are using -Tutf8, basically all `\[uXXXX]' work and
are valid.

> Where is \N'188' better documented? groff.7 say only:
>
>   \N’n’ Typeset the glyph with index n in the current font. No
>         special fonts are searched. Useful for adding (named)
>         entities to a document using the char request and friends.
>
> What is this `index'?  Where did you get this number `188'?

The glyph index can be found in the affected groff font file.  For
example, in special font `S' you can find this line:

  u2026  1000,95,17      3       188     ellipsis

However, in `TR' there is

  14     750,676,14      2       188     onequarter

The value in the third column is the index.  See groff_font(5) for
more.