Re: [Groff] Typesetting dashes

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Typesetting dashes
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 14:02:42 -0500

> > 2.  Do your numbers have to line up?  If so, make sure kerning's
> >     disabled.  That solves the comma problem.
>
> By which I suppose you mean the .kern request?  It doesn't seem to
> matter, please see attached PDF output for this file -ms:
>
> .NP
> .ds comma \h'-5M',\h'7M'
> .IP kerned
> 2,261,760
> .IP unkerned
> .kern 0
> 2,261,760
> .kern
> .IP custom
> 2\*[comma]261\*[comma]760
>
> Looking at the PDF with 400% magnification, I don't see a difference.
> Looking that the ditroff (is that what to call it?) I think I know
> why: the commands look identical.  Both output "t2,261,760" for the
> number, see below.

Quite so.  Apparently, I was in error about the kerning, possibly
because I almost never use the TR font, and most of my font library
has full kerning for numbers, such that when I turn it off, the
difference is immediately visible.  Sorry.  Obviously not a
solution.

> BTW, I'm not satisfied with any of them.  groff places the comma too
> far east for my taste; I suppose I think the rule should be that it
> land exactly halfway between the numbers, perhaps one pixel west.
> Agreed the 1 and 7 are too far apart.  I didn't want to fuss with
> individual digit pairs.

Yes, it really does look like the character fit of numbers and
punctuation needs some re-thinking.  Maybe just a good default set
of kernpair definitions in the groff font files?  It's how I've
handled the problem for years, albeit by amending font files
manually.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca