Re: [Groff] Typesetting dashes

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: [Groff] Typesetting dashes
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 22:04:10 -0500

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 00:41:52 -0500
Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013, James K. Lowden wrote:
> > While I'm in the neighborhood, I wonder if commas in numbers get
> > special treatment?  Reading over my document, the number 34,800
> > looked bad; the comma was squished over by the eight.  The effect
> > was especially noticable when the comma trails a 7.  To correct,
> >
> >     .ds xterm \s-1\fH\&xterm\f[]\s+1
> >     .ds comma \h'-5M',\h'7M'
> >
> >     38\*[comma]400 bits per second

Hi Peter,

> 1.  Why aren't you using the ever-so-handy '.fzoom' for your
>     Helvetica?

Ah, that would seem to be because I'm using out-of-date documentation.
I have 1.21 installed on another machine, but the MANPATH still
includes 1.19. Thank you for the pointer.

> 2.  Do your numbers have to line up?  If so, make sure kerning's
>     disabled.  That solves the comma problem.

By which I suppose you mean the .kern request?  It doesn't seem to
matter, please see attached PDF output for this file -ms:

.NP
.ds comma \h'-5M',\h'7M'
.IP kerned
2,261,760
.IP unkerned
.kern 0
2,261,760
.kern
.IP custom
2\*[comma]261\*[comma]760

Looking at the PDF with 400% magnification, I don't see a difference.
Looking that the ditroff (is that what to call it?) I think I know
why: the commands look identical.  Both output "t2,261,760" for the
number, see below.

BTW, I'm not satisfied with any of them.  groff places the comma too
far east for my taste; I suppose I think the rule should be that it
land exactly halfway between the numbers, perhaps one pixel west.
Agreed the 1 and 7 are too far apart.  I didn't want to fuss with
individual digit pairs.

In this example, I'm using groff 1.19, which is the stock install on my
yellowing OS X machine.  I normally don't pay a lot of attention to
which version I'm using, but perhaps in this case it matters?

--jkl

x T ps
x res 72000 1 1
x init