Re: [Groff] .PSPIC seems to be broken

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] .PSPIC seems to be broken
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 16:47:01 +0100

> PS: How did I get the EPS-file?  With lilypond.

The file lilypond creates doesn't have a %%BoundingBox comment,
so PSPIC doesn't know how the "picture" should be scaled.
(This can be fixed with a little shell script calling
"gs -sDEVICE=bbox" to get the bounding box and sed to
insert the comment.)

Much worse, the fonts lilypond embeds are in a binary format.
This confuses grops.  If you go the "PDF -> PS" way, you
get clean ASCII Postscript in the end, which grops can use.
(My ghostscript rasterizes the fonts when converting to PS.
Using "acroread -toPostScript" keeps the fonts scalable.)

My question: is all this font munging really necessary?
Why can't lilypond just embed PFA fonts, the way grops does?