[Groff] .PSPIC seems to be broken

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: [Groff] .PSPIC seems to be broken
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 02:20:29 +0100 (CET)

.PSPIC is documented in groff_tmac(5).  It is supposed to load an EPS-file.
That should work in the troff modes.  In tty-modes and in X-mode it is not
possible to show the EPS-file, so only a box with the file name is generated.

But that does not work.

The only working troff mode is dvi.  The EPS-image is drawn without errors.
But before and aftger the image a page break is printed, which does not
make sense, but at least it draws correctly.  Unfortunately it accepts only
direct filenames (e.g. starting with `/').

The modes html, xhtml, ps, and pdf produce many error messages and don't
draw the image.

So .PSPIC seems to be broken for almost all modes.

I tried to read the pspic.tmac file, but it is quite complicated.

Bernd Warken

PS: How did I get the EPS-file?

With lilypond.  I used a lilypond file test.ly with the content:

###### test.ly
\version "2.14.2"
{
  c' e' g' e'
}
####### end test.ly

Then I ran:

  $ lilypond --ps -o /tmp/test test.ly

This generated a file /tmp/test.ps.  Then I transformed this into EPS:

  $ ps2eps /tmp/test.ps

That generated /tmp/test.eps that should be imported by .PSPIC:

##### test.troff
asdf
.PSPIC /tmp/test.eps
qwer
##### end test.troff

But groff did not work as described above.

I also tried the EPS and other format files generated by
 $ lilypond -d backend=eps test.ly

Bernd Warken