Re: [Groff] groff -mm output something I don't expect

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff -mm output something I don't expect
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:39:35 -0000 (GMT)

On 14-Nov-08 12:03:58, Mike Bianchi wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 08:58:50AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> > I ``troff'' a simple file, hello.mm whose content is:
>> >
>> > .\" hello.mm
>> > Hello World!
>> >
>> > with the command line:
>> >
>> > $ /usr/local/bin/groff -mm hello.mm > hello.ps
>> >
>> > and opened it with ``evince'', then I found there are two short bars
>> > in topleft and topright corners of the page.
>>
>> This must be a problem with evince then.  Here is the PS output of
>> your document (omitting the preamble) as processed with the current
>> CVS version of groff (and I doubt that this has changed recently):
>>
>>   /F0 10/address@hidden SF
>>   2.5(-1-)277.006 48 S
>>   (Hello W)69.336 96 Q
>>   (orld!) -.8 E
>>   0 Cg
>>   EP
>>
>> As you can see, no bars are created.  Maybe those bars indicate the
>> left and right side of the paper, similar to the flashing lines in gv?
>
> Is it possible the "two short bars" are the   - 1 -  (meaning page 1)
> that
> mm places as the Page Header?
> --
>  Mike Bianchi

I also tested the example. When I viewed 'hello.ps' with 'gv' [but
see below], there was nothing wrong with the PS, and the top margin
duly contained the page number "-1-".

However, I then viewed with 'evince', and could not see the "-1-":
it was as though the top margin had been cropped.

I have had other bad experiences with 'evince' and now avoid using
it altogether. In my Debian/gnome installation, /usr/bin/gv does
not always work properly either, so I set up a symbolic link

  /usr/bin/GV -> /usr/bin/gnome-gv
which in turn -> /usr/bin/ggv

which seems to work fine. So in fact what I originally viewed the
file 'hello.ps' I used GV!

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>