Re: [Groff] eqn plugin for MS Word??

From: Frank Jahnke
Subject: Re: [Groff] eqn plugin for MS Word??
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 09:19:30 -0700

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 12:31 +0200, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:

> a few months ago there was some traffic on this list in the context of
> e. raymonds efforts of converting manpages with his doclifter. he contributed
> modification to `eqn' which adds a new MathML device so that `eqn' can emit
> MathML markup. the cvs-version includes this modification.

I recall -- that came up in response to a question I raised about
document submission to journals that require .doc format.  I had tried
to get the eqn output into HTML, but it didn't work (though it had in
previous versions).

> now, the information from ted harding in this thread seems to indicate that at
> least with Word2007 one should be able to use MathML markup directly and then
> the abovementioned `eqn' modification should be the solution: capture the
> `eqn'
> MathML output and copy it into the Word document.

I will have to check on the Word versions that support this.  I have
both 2000 and XP (aka 2003) on various computers and virtual machines.

> I would be very interested to hear from someone who manages to get it right:
> equations seem the biggest obstacle when one prepares manuscripts in groff and
> finally is forced to deliver a Word document.

Agreed.  Do you know where the cvs version may be found?  And are you
aware of any instructions for its installation?  I would try it on a
computer running FreeBSD 6.2.  I usually have a remote X session running
when I use Windows, so its exact location is not really a big deal.

Frank