RE: [Groff] eqn plugin for MS Word??

From: Frank Jahnke
Subject: RE: [Groff] eqn plugin for MS Word??
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 09:09:09 -0700

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 08:53 +0100, address@hidden wrote:

> > Is anyone aware of a eqn plugin for Word?  Or something like it?

>   "The Equation Editor included with Word and WordPerfect
>    is a watered down version of the full MathType editor
>    by Design Science. There are many more bells and whistles
>    available with the full version of MathType. Anyone doing
>    serious mathematics writing should consider getting the
>    full version. The academic pricing is $99. You can learn
>    more about MathType at http://www.mathtype.com/ "
>
> And a hint at an answer to my speculation last time can be found
> in Wikipedia's article:

I came across this too when I Googled before I posted here.  It seems
that the program has changed over to a TeX-like input format from its
(former) use of eqn format.  Given that more people probably use TeX, it
makes sense, I suppose, but I almost think in eqn after having used it
for almost 25 years.  Still, this is a lot better than the stock Word
equation formatter.

It was my hope -- in vain, it appears -- that someone had adapted the
groff code for Word.  That appears not to be so.

You are also right that WP used to have an equation mode that is very
similar to eqn.  I first used it in the WP 5.1 era on DOS, and it really
was a pretty nice program.  I still have a copy of a version for Win
98SE somewhere -- I should have a look at it.  Word was never friendly
to importing other formats, though.