Re: [Groff] eqn plugin for MS Word??

From: Joerg van den Hoff
Subject: Re: [Groff] eqn plugin for MS Word??
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:31:58 +0200

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 04:08:54PM -0700, Frank Jahnke wrote:
> I am writing a highly-technical review article with a colleague who
> knows only MS Word on the Mac (and so is not particularly
> computer-savvy).  I've agreed to use Word, for which I don't much care,
> but it seems to be the only way to go at the moment.  Of course I am
> doing the parts that have the heavy math -- in eqn (which I would
> otherwise use) this would be easy, but Word's equation editor is pretty
> weak.
>
> Is anyone aware of a eqn plugin for Word?  Or something like it?
>
> I know the OO.o has an equation mode that is very similar to eqn, but
> I've simply not had very good luck with OO.o for these sorts of
> documents when sharing with Word is necessary.
>
> Frank

just a hint:

a few months ago there was some traffic on this list in the context of
e. raymonds efforts of converting manpages with his doclifter. he contributed a
modification to `eqn' which adds a new MathML device so that `eqn' can emit
MathML markup. the cvs-version includes this modification.

I myself am not at all on familar grounds with MathML, and my simple minded
efforts to test the new feature failed (I got the MathML markup alright
but did'nt know what to do with it, really, to get the equation
displayed, be it in Word or some other viewer (some browsers are
supposed to be able to do this, too, but did'nt recognize my MathML output
correctly)).

now, the information from ted harding in this thread seems to indicate that at
least with Word2007 one should be able to use MathML markup directly and then
the abovementioned `eqn' modification should be the solution: capture the `eqn'
MathML output and copy it into the Word document.

I would be very interested to hear from someone who manages to get it right:
equations seem the biggest obstacle when one prepares manuscripts in groff and
finally is forced to deliver a Word document.

regards,

joerg