Re: [Groff] eqn plugin for MS Word??

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] eqn plugin for MS Word??
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 08:13:14 -0400

Frank Jahnke wrote:

I am writing a highly-technical review article with a colleague who
knows only MS Word on the Mac (and so is not particularly
computer-savvy). I've agreed to use Word, for which I don't much care,
but it seems to be the only way to go at the moment.  Of course I am
doing the parts that have the heavy math -- in eqn (which I would
otherwise use) this would be easy, but Word's equation editor is pretty
weak.

Is anyone aware of a eqn plugin for Word?  Or something like it?

If the equations aren't changing a lot, you could try this:

eqn -> groff -> eps2eps

I do this with tables that I have to rotate for a large document, adding a "psrotate" to the chain.

Weird *should* handle EPS, although it might whine and give you grey boxes on the screen, the print/PDF should turn out OK. If not (and being Word, it wouldn't surprise me), try using pstoedit to convert them to WMF. If all else fails, use Ghostscript to render the EPS into TIFF or PNG (600 dpi should work pretty well for this).

Good luck!

-- Larry