Re: [Groff] problem with current snapshot

From: Gunnar Ritter
Subject: Re: [Groff] problem with current snapshot
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:29:33 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm not sure whether this classifies as a bug at all; it would take
> some time to rewrite troff to handle that case gracefully (and I
> haven't checked yet whether this is possible at all).  Opinions,
> please.  Gunnar, how does your troff behave?

It prints " 20 3" for

.do xflag 3
.warn
.nr x 20
.nr y 3
\s[\En[x]] \f[\En[y]] \n(.s \n(.f

with -a, so it seems to be able to handle this.

Looking at the groff code, it is not only \f which has this
problem; it also affects \$ \* \F \g \k \m \M \O \V \Y, so
\*[\E*[foo]] (or, more realistically, \E*[\E*[foo]]) does not
work as well.

        Gunnar