Re: [Groff] doclifter on groffer.man

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Groff] doclifter on groffer.man
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 14:52:05 -0500

Larry Kollar <address@hidden>:
> Reading the discussion, I feel like Bernd's objection is based on a
> perception that ESR wants to *replace* groff -man with DocBook, where
> I believe he wants to use DocBook as an *interchange* format for all
> system documentation.

That is correct.  It is why I keep emphasizing the distinction between
presentation and transfer or interchange formats.

>                      Having looked at DocBook (and worked with XML
> in general) myself, I believe that interchange (rather than
> authoring) is its best use.

I agree, though I am personally willing to author in DocBook.

>                         In other words, write your documentation
> in whatever markup you're comfortable with and translate it to the
> interchange format.

Here is a slightly expanded version of a diagram I posted back towards
the beginning of the discussion:

+-------------+
|  man pages  |-----+
+-------------+     |                                +--------------------+
                    |                           +--->|  HTML on browsers  |
+-------------+     |                          /     +--------------------+
+-------------+     |         +-------------+/
                    |-------->| XML-DocBook |
|  asciidoc   |-----+                         \
                    |                           +--->| PostScript on printers |

The box in the middle is intended to indicate the use of DocBook as a
common interchange format.