Re: [Groff] Third-party viewers, KDE, and the "portable set"

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Groff] Third-party viewers, KDE, and the "portable set"
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 09:54:27 -0500

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:
> > OK.  If the KDE system has its own non-groff man-page viewer (which
> > I gather it must, otherwise Gunnar's comment would make no sense)
> > then the whole issue of what we have to do to support third-party
> > viewers just went critical.
>
> Hmm.  What about talking to the KDE guys to use doclifter instead?

This opens up a large can of worms. One of the problems is that it
would introduce variable lag into page rendering; while most pages
translate in less than a second, the extreme case is
wireshark-filter.4, which takes half an hour.  That's before the
lag introduced by running stylesheets to do XML -> HTML, which
will be longer.

For this and other reasons, I think the right time to apply doclifter
is at package build time, so that HTML man pages are installed by the
package.

> > Safe escapes:
> >     \' \` \- \$ \* \& \| \0 \<SP> \<CR>
> >     \c \d \e \f \u \n
> >
> > These are all the escapes actually needed to translate the entire
> > 13,446-page Fedora Core 6 corpus into DocBook.
>
> What about \~ which I like very much, and which is a great
> typographical improvement?

I don't currently handle this.  If there is an equivalent ISO or Unicode
entity and you can tell me what that is, I can add support with one table
entry.

Hmm..."An unbreakable space that stretches like a normal inter-word space
when a line is adjusted."  It's possible &nbsp; might have this behavior
on some back ends.

I'll add it to the set of escapes that throw warnings, so after my next
test we'll know exactly how often it is used.