Re: [Groff] Re: begin page blues

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: begin page blues
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:14:59 +0100 (CET)

> You suggested a backslash, Werner suggested \c and they work if the
> \X thing is part of the text.  However, \Y[...] followed by a call
> to a macro is a different cattle of fish:
>
>      .bp
>      \Y[draw-a-grid]
>      .macro-starting-with-an-indent
>
> Here I can't use \, \c does not work, the macro inherits a space and
> indent drops a line.

This is inevitable from the point of syntax.  An escape sequence
behaves differently to a request.

> Currently I hide the \Y in a macro, followed by .sp -1 and use the
> macro instead of \Y in the main text.  It's not a tragedy, just
> finding a hiding place for every PS insert, if indeed this is the
> only to do it, is quite a bit of inconvenience.

Hmm, what you really want is a request equivalents to \X and \Y,
right?  This should be rather straightforward to implement (and IMHO
it's always a good idea to have both escapes and requests for the same
thing).  Can you suggest request names for those two escapes?