Re: [Groff] Re: begin page blues

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: begin page blues
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:42:57 +0100 (CET)

> > This should be rather straightforward to implement (and IMHO it's
> > always a good idea to have both escapes and requests for the same
> > thing).  Can you suggest request names for those two escapes?
>
> [...]
>
> E.g. a version that uses save/restore rather than just
> pushing/popping a dictionary, that may allocate .sp space for the
> PS, keeps it on the page, bypasses it altogether if the page is not
> wanted (so as to avoid .so requests reading-in images
> unnecessarily), the ability to mix ps and groff in the macro (that
> requires the definition of an end-of-ps, other than ..

Hmm, this won't work basically.  groff basically does produce
device-independent output, and the complete \X and \Y functionality is
in the device drivers.  It would be nice to have a set of macros which
implements your wishes, but I can't build this into the troff binary.

> Btw, if you implement \Y's equivalent, then there is not much point
> in doing \X.

Right.  So we only have to invent a single request name :-)