Re: [Groff] Re: begin page blues

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: begin page blues
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:24:23 +1100

On 19/02/2006, at 8:52 AM, (Ted Harding) wrote:

On 18-Feb-06 Miklos Somogyi wrote:
[...]

Here the red Hello2 Hello3 are one space to the right of the black
ones.
Does anyone know the how and why of this space?
[...]
Yes -- it comes from the LF in the input that follows

\X'ps: exec 1 0 0 setrgbcolor'

Ted, I'm sorry that I haven't made myself clear.
My concern is that the \Y[...] way of injecting PS into groff
interferes with the text.
In SGI-troff with Adobe's prologue they were absolutely independent,
linked only via a CP so, foolishly I expected that 'ps: ..' would not
generate anything but graphics.

Perhaps later I'll find some use for groff's different way of doing it.
Now I'd like a quick transition 'cause I have a lot
of PS inserts and there's something about old dogs & new tricks.

You suggested a backslash, Werner suggested \c and they work if the \X thing is part of the text. However, \Y[...] followed by a call to a macro is a different cattle of fish:

    .bp
    \Y[draw-a-grid]
    .macro-starting-with-an-indent

Here I can't use \, \c does not work, the macro inherits a space and
indent drops a line.

Currently I hide the \Y in a macro, followed by .sp -1 and use the macro instead of \Y in the main text. It's not a tragedy, just finding a hiding place for every PS insert, if indeed this is the only to do it, is quite a bit
of inconvenience.

Thanks to you and Werner,

Miklos