Re: [Groff] Re: begin page blues

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: begin page blues
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:27:25 +0100 (CET)

> Well, at least I've tried :-) I only have one philosophical
> question-mark. When I was a youngster (yes!), device independence
> and pre- and post-processors were good ideas and necessary.  I
> wonder whether it still is the case.

For me: definitely yes.

> We, who got used to them, are comfortable with them.  I'm not so
> sure about today's youngsters.  Probably they would say that the
> dust has settled, Adobe won (whether they like this or not), so why
> concentrate on anything else than ps and pdf.

Normally, device independence gives better modularity.  I don't object
to improve, say, PS support, but I dare to say that groff's main use
today is the formatting of man pages on terminals and terminal
emulators.  So we need support for both PS and TTY at least.

> And perhaps they would like a single application better, a groff
> with built-in tbl, eqn, me or mm etc, producing, say, only ps.

No chance.  Youngster don't use groff at all.  It's way too uncool,
isn't it? :-)

> >> Btw, if you implement \Y's equivalent, then there is not much
> >> point in doing \X.
> >
> > Right.  So we only have to invent a single request name :-)
>
> What about "ps-mac" for PostScript Macro? If you don't like it, you
> can always say that you got it for free :-[[

Well, it isn't for PS only...  I suggest `.post'.