Re: [Groff] "creep" and booklets

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] "creep" and booklets
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:34:37 +0100 (CET)

> Now here's the point. Because of the thickness of the paper, the
> middle pages (toward the bottom of the above pile) are puched
> outwards. To tidy this up, you can take a guillotine and slice of
> the protruding bits (of all except the first).
>
> However, this then leaves the print closer to the outside edges on
> the centre pages that it is on the outside pages, prgressively
> creeping outwards. This is what's called "creep" and it can become
> quite noticeable.

Interestingly, while being aware of this problem, I've never seen
someone handling this, neither in the LaTeX nor in the groff world.

> a) First question. I think it's probably difficult, if not
>    impossible, to write a "universal macro" which would work with
>    any of the usual macro sets ("ms", "me", etc).  Comments?

I think you are right.

> c) I'm refining a macro for "ms" at the moment. Interested?

Please post it to the list.

> Then there are ths issues that arise with larger documents, where
> you eed to make them up of "signatures" each with few sheets. With
> standard 80gm/m2 printer paper, I've found that 16-sheet signatures
> are about as far as one wants to go.

Indeed.  Most books only use 8 sheets, I believe.

> Having got your signatures, they then need to be attached
> together. For this, it's not ideal if each signature was stapled.
> Any recommendations for (a) making the central attachment for a
> signature instead of stapling;

Use a thread binding.  It's not that difficult to do as soon as you
got accustomed to it.  Of course, this isn't something for mass
production on the kitchen table.

> (b) binding signatures together?

Bookmaker's glue.  Producing a good binding needs craftsmanship.