[Groff] Groff mingwPORT Released

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: [Groff] Groff mingwPORT Released
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:04:22 +0000

FWIW, I've posted a release of groff-1.19.2-mingwPORT-1 here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/groff-1.19.2-mingwPORT-1.tar.bz2?download

For those unfamiliar with the mingwPORT concept, it is a scripting
framework originally created by Earnie Boyd, and designed to guide
less sophisticated users through the download, configuration, make
and installation phases of a typical GNU package install.

While being primarily intended to facilitate the installation of
such packages on Win32 systems, and more specifically those running
MinGW/MSYS, it does have some features which may be more generally
useful.  In particular, for groff-1.19.2-mingwPORT-1, I've
configured the following:--

* Automated source download from http://ftp.gnu.org
* Automated patching of the source tree, to add a `bindist'
  make target, so facilitating the creation of redistributable
  pre-built binary packages;  (the necessary patches are in
  the included `mingwPORT.patch' file).
* Interactive configuration, allowing the user to select
  which components to install, and where to install them.
* Segregation of runtime and documentation components into
  two pre-built redistributable tarballs, together with a
  rebundled source tarball, to incorporate the patches
  from `mingwPORT.patch'.

Earnie has designated the mingwPORT framework as public domain, so
if anyone is interested in adapting the concept for other platforms,
please feel free to do so.

Regards,
Keith.