Re: [Groff] man page encoding

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] man page encoding
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:04:24 +0200 (CEST)

> >   b) Recognize the encoding according to a note in the first line
> >         '\" -*- coding: EUC-JP -*-
> >      groff will then emit errors when it is fed input that is
> >      non-ASCII and without coding: marker, so that man page
> >      maintainers are notified that they need to add the coding:
> >      marker.
>
> This looks like it would conflict with Emacs usage.

Why?  This has been discussed already on the groff list: The plan is
indeed to allow emacs-like tagging of the file to set the encoding.

> I like the idea, but wouldn't it be more appropriate to make it into
> a groff request?

No.  I plan to make groff accept only ASCII, latin-1 (for backwards
compatibility), and UTF8.  The tag in the header makes groff call a
preprocessor which inserts a proper encoding filter.