Re: [Groff] win32 experiences?

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] win32 experiences?
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:05:56 -0500

On 30/10/2004 10:55 a.m., Kees Zeelenberg wrote:
It would affect users on non-MS-Windows systems who process files made on MS-Windows, i.e. with CR-LF. A perhaps not uncommon example is where text files made with an ordinary MS-Windows editor (and thus contain CR-LF's), are processed by a Cygwin Groff and where the Cygwin setup is as on Unix (i.e. text files have LF as line-endings). As long as 0xOD is just ignored, its being forbidden would only give lots of warnings. If, however, 0x0D would generate an error and a premature stop of groff processing, it would be very unpleasant. BTW, a native MS-Windows build of Groff does not have problems with CR-LF. Upon reading, all CR-LF's are converted to LF, and vice versa upon output. This happens in the read and write buffers, and so groff will never see the CR's.

Ahh, the old trick[1] of linking with textmode.o. Hmmmm.... I should try that sometime now that Cygwin's implementation *actually works*.

After giving some thought to the matter, I share your opinion. EOL handling should be the same of the underlying OS. I wonder how would this complicate the present state of affairs.

[1] Play "Get Smart!" introduction music here...

--
Alejandro López-Valencia

Lo que Natura non da, Salamanca non presta.
                                Francisco de Quevedo y Villegas