Re: [Groff] win32 experiences?

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] win32 experiences?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:40:41 +0100

> Alas, I have been forced to delete linux and switch to winbl0ze (if you

Too bad :-)

> find yourself in a similar situation check out http://www.litepc.com/).
> Anyhow, what are your experiences with groff on win32 and what binary
> URLs would you suggest?

I build from CVS, (I do use a GNU/Linux box to maintain my CVS sandbox,
but I guess it should be just as easy from Windoze, if you don't have
some pesky corporate firewall in the way :-)), building on Windoze using
the MinGW implementation of GCC, from http://www.mingw.org , with the
MSYS build environment from the same source.  The resulting installed
groff runs natively in a Windoze console (Win2K, in my case), with no
Cygwin dependency.  There is a README.MinGW in the groff distribution to
guide you through the build and installation process; if you follow the
instructions, you should end up with a fully functional groff.

If you want to avoid building it yourself, you could get a prebuilt
binary (built with the same tools) from GnuWin32.sourceforge.net -- this
is currently 1.19.1, so does lag behind the CVS somewhat.

> My only positive experience with win32 groff so far was with a clean
> compile with help of cygwin (everything ran normal, just had to dl win32

> joe editor because of the pesky CRLF pairs :-))

I haven't seen this CRLF problem -- I prefer to use gvim as my editor,
and *always* :set fileformat=unix

HTH.

--

Keith.