Re: [Groff] Asses Mpeg's

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Asses Mpeg's
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:59:37 +0100 (BST)

On 30-Mar-04 Robert Goulding wrote:
> Dear Ted:
>
> I'm sure you know this from others, but I've been getting 7 or 8
> messages like this from your address every day. Is this a problem
> with your university's server, or has your email address just been
> harvested from the groff list? -
> Robert.
>
> Quoting "Ted.Harding" <address@hidden>:
>
>> u Love asses? Here is a great ass open wide waitin for ur lil Cock
>> Bye__Nessie.mcc.ac.uk servers automatically scanned for viruses using
>> Norton
>> AntiVirus-2004

Hi Robert (Cc: to groff list)
I'm well aware of what's going on, since I'm getting them too.
But they are nothing to do with me. It would seem that my email
address is being spoofed as the "From:" address. The headers in
the messages indicate that the source is 82.50.102.82 and similar
IP addresses which belong to the "interbusiness.it" domain.

Certainly not coming from me, since some were sent on Saturday
27 March when I was out all day and my machines were not connected
to the Net at any time.

I've also been getting them directly (i.e. not via groff). So far,
they are not turning up "from" me to any other email list I'm on.
The typical mechanism for this is that someone has a virus, and
their infected machine has both my email address and the groff
email address stored on it.

I'm sorry that it's happening, but I don't see what I can do about it!
However, I'll contact MCC to see if they know anything about it.

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972