Re: [Groff] Spam and virus cruft on address@hidden

From: Daniele F.
Subject: Re: [Groff] Spam and virus cruft on address@hidden
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 00:33:12 +0200

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 03:18:22PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:

>     Ted> It would seem that my email address is being
>     Ted> spoofed as the "From:" address. The headers in the messages
>     Ted> indicate that the source is 82.50.102.82 and similar IP
>     Ted> addresses which belong to the "interbusiness.it" domain.
>
> Indeed. interbusiness.it is a notorious spam source that everyone
> should have blacklisted years ago.

Mmmhh... I strongly disagree. "interbusiness.it" is the domain for the
IPs of the italian biggest ADSL provider: Telecom Italia (that is also
the biggest italian phone company and one of the biggest in Europe). In
this moment surely millions of persons have an "interbusiness.it"
domain for their dynamic connection (me too: my IP now is
82.48.216.10). So blacklisting that domain means blacklisting a couple
of millions of (innocent) persons (me too among them !).

Actually (and from 3 years or more) I read a couple of italian lists
about FreeBSD which are managed with a little list manager that is
"minimalist" (a perl script - www.mml.org.ua): those lists are with
more traffic than this one (one of them with a lot more traffic) but
everything is ok and without spam. Obviously the solution is an
antivirus and a tool like Spamassassin near sendmail and the list
manager.

--
    Bye, DF.   <jbuss at Kaosmic Net>   *** FreeBSD & Red addict ***

"I don't smile anymore, too many smiling faces lie"
   (Urge Overkill)