Re: [Groff] Spam and virus cruft on address@hidden

From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Spam and virus cruft on address@hidden
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:49:31 -0500

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:18:22 +0100, <address@hidden> wrote in
<address@hidden>:

>    Ted> It would seem that my email address is being
>    Ted> spoofed as the "From:" address. The headers in the messages
>    Ted> indicate that the source is 82.50.102.82 and similar IP
>    Ted> addresses which belong to the "interbusiness.it" domain.
>
>Indeed. interbusiness.it is a notorious spam source that everyone
>should have blacklisted years ago.
>
>However this is beside the point. The mailing list server should have
>adequate anti-spam defences in place. Blatant forgeries like this and
>obvious spam/virus drivel simply should not be getting relayed to the
>list. I have complained about this a couple of times to the list
>manager and postmaster. There has been no reply.
>
>This is very disturbing. It suggests that nobody is really looking
>after the mailing list. The silence also implies nothing is being done
>to improve the list's clearly inadequate anti-spam measures. Is there
>anyone at ffii.org who cares about this? What's being done to improve
>the situation? Is it time to find a new home for the list?

About two years ago I asked the ffii.org network admin to upgrade
Mailman to something more current (because that would give more
security and privacy to the subscribers). He said that he would
consider it when Mailman 2.1 was released. Well, we are now at almost
two years of such release and ffii.org still uses a 2.0.x version,
because that's what the Linux distro running in the server provides (I
can only thing of RedHat 6.x or something older...). And integrating
ClamAV into an MTA isn't that difficult either.

Anyway. It is a great thing that ffii.org has given logistic support
to groff for a long time, and more importantly: it is reliable, like a
Citroën 5CV compared to a Ferrari Testarossa; you can't use fresh
banana paste to replace the axle grease if the latter breaks. :-)

If groff had been at Savannah, 2003 had been a lost year for the
project and that we must acknowledge. Yet, I wonder if there shouldn't
be a mirror of the CVS repository setup somewhere. Savannah seems to
have become reliable and could be an alternative, but there is also
Berlios.de... For a mailing list mirror, at least there is an archive
at gmane.org.

--
Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/