Re: [Groff] UTP document translation, bloatware, and MS Offfice

From: Jim Reid
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP document translation, bloatware, and MS Offfice
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:48:04 +0100

    >> Evidently, to read such documents you need MS Word, OpenOffice,
    >> or whatever. If you know of other means to read an MS Word
    >> document that doesn't involve the already mentioned
    >> applications, please enlighten us all.

Well antiword does a reasonably good job of extracting the text from
these bloated files. [How can a 1 page memo possibly fill 250K or
more?] Personally, I find files in Word format to be a very strong
hint that the contents are worthless and not worth the effort of
reading them. This rule has worked out pretty well so far.