Re: [Groff] UTP document translation, bloatware, and MS Offfice

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP document translation, bloatware, and MS Offfice
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 20:15:52 -0400

Hi.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002, Richard Loken wrote:
> We need a mangler that translates troff into Word...  Staroffice mangles stuff
> into Word format but you might as well use Word in the first place, besides,
> Staroffice won't run on my VMS workstation but Groff and Ghostscript will.

I do a lot of writing, and a lot of submissions.  FWIW, I write
everything unformatted, using a consistent (and readable!) text editor
style (4 spaces for para indents, three stars for author linebreaks,
[quote] to introduce a quote, etc.).  Then I use sed scripts to
transform what I've written into whatever formats I need -- troff,
html, etc.  Which means, in the above situation (troff to Word), I
don't have to do troff-to-Word at all.  Just open the plain text file
in AbiWord, do some silly WYSIWYG stuff that's a pain in the ass but
doesn't take too long, then save the document in Word.  Works like a
charm.

Which is not to say that the aforementioned "mangler" would be
unwelcome. :)

--
PTPi
Peter Schaffter

A confirmed GNU/Linuxer. Sorry, I don't do Windows.