Re: [Groff] UTP ducoment translation, bloatware, and MS Offfice

From: Rob Scovell
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP ducoment translation, bloatware, and MS Offfice
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:01:27 +1200

xemacs is pretty large, but not bloated. Its largeness consists of useful stuff -- well, stuff that's useful for somebody, somewhere. There are *real* users out there who want to edit weird text (such as 'Latin' COMAL -- see http://www.interlingua.dk/historia/diverse/intercomal-1.htm ). So large does not equal bloated. MS Office is bloated because it's stuffed full of huge amounts of non-useful stuff. I have Word 2 on an old Mac LCIII and it processes words as quickly as Word 97 on my wife's PC. The two versions have the same paragraph formatting options, including 'Styles' , and the same typographical nastiness. My one, however, doesn't have an animated paperclip, and it won't open my wife's files.

Someone once reported that there are huge chunks of binary code in a standard installation that never gets called.

The test for bloat vis a vis groff is whether it gets more useful as it gets bigger -- and if it can still run in its most minimalist form on machines dating back to the days of Babbage.