Re: [Groff] Trouble with UTP...

From: Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
Subject: Re: [Groff] Trouble with UTP...
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 20:43:18 +0200

Hi John,
please see my comments below. I'll send the corrected chapters to Larry.

Best Regards
Heinz

Am Montag, 15. Juli 2002 21:21 schrieb Jon Snader:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:46:16AM -0700, Meg McRoberts wrote:
> > I'm pretty new to this list as well, so it's the blind leading the
> > blind.  I do get errors from processing ch03.t but it builds.  The
> > command line I am using is:
> >
> >     cd (my working directory)
> >     groff -pt -ms ch03.t > ch03.ps
> >     ps2pdf ch03.ps > ch03.pdf
> >
> > The errors I get are:
> >
> >     ch03.t:1338: warning: `BH' not defined
>
> Meg's correct, this should by .Bh
>
> >     ch03.t:1742: warning: `L' not defined
>
> This should be .LP
>
> >     ch03.t:3298: warning: can't find special character `CW'
>
> There are a bunch of these in the range 3298-3349.  It almost looks as
> if it should be \f(CW, but I'm not sure.  We'll have to wait until
> Heinz tells us.

Ok. all reported and some more corrected.

> > I think the first one is a typo -- should be Bh rather than BH.  I
> > don't know about the second on and the third one is just plain
> > baffling.
>
> A couple comments.  I've looked at Chapter 3 and Chapter 5.  In both of
> those I notice that the use of the .SS macro often doesn't leave enough
> room after the line above.  Do people want me to add some spacing (if so,
> how much?) or would you rather fix it up on an individual basis.

It's now time to print the pages. This gives a better feeling how it looks
like.

> In chapter 3 there were some problems with the X[1234] macros.  That's
> rather strange since Heinz contributed the original macros.  I added the
> rounded corners and otherwise messed with things, so something got lost
> in the translation.  Heinz, could you look at those and let me know if
> the problem is yours or mine?
I now use the latest groff 1.18 and your macro attachment from July 17th.
With the simple .ne 9 after the first macro .X1 it works.
and there are no more warnings in the groff output.
 .de X1
 .ne 9
 .sp

I used .KS/.KE to enclose the screens, but that didn't work. So I included
this .ne thing with a guessed value of "9". I have no better solution for
estimating the expected hight.