Re: [Groff] \F request?

From: Bernd Salbrechter
Subject: Re: [Groff] \F request?
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:48:27 +0200

On Sat, 06 Apr 2002 07:46:34 +0200 (CEST) Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> > >Unfortunately, I would then have to change the family name for
> > >Palatino to, say, `PA' to free the letter `P'.
> >
> > Hmm... Why would you need to free the letter P, if you mind my
> > naiveté?
>
> To be able to say \FP which should switch back to the previous
> family, and not to family P.

Wasn't \fP to switch back to the previous font a bad idia from the
begining, but a reasonable kudge, becuse of the limited sytactical
features in the original implementation (one or two letter names).

Wouldn't \f[] and \F[] (an empty name) the better way to go. Maybe you
could require font and fontfamily names to start with a letter (A-Za-z).
This woud give you save namespaces for future features to implement,
without risking compatibility problems.

Bernd