Re: [Groff] \F request?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] \F request?
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:36:18 +0200 (CEST)

> Wouldn't \f[] and \F[] (an empty name) the better way to go.

An excellent idea!  I like this very much.  What do others think?  We
could deprecate \fP in favor of the new syntax; in contrast, \FP would
only support the new syntax, i.e., accessing family P.

> Maybe you could require font and fontfamily names to start with a
> letter (A-Za-z).  This woud give you save namespaces for future
> features to implement, without risking compatibility problems.

I think this is a too severe limitation.  One of the greatest benefits
of groff IMHO is that identifiers can consist of almost anything.