Re: [Groff] \F request?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] \F request?
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 07:46:34 +0200 (CEST)

> >Unfortunately, I would then have to change the family name for
> >Palatino to, say, `PA' to free the letter `P'.
>
> Hmm... Why would you need to free the letter P, if you mind my
> naiveté?

To be able to say \FP which should switch back to the previous
family, and not to family P.

> Anyway, could this be an opportunity to change all font names to
> follow a somewhat ordered scheme like Karl Berry's fontname[1], and
> rather use aliases for the basic 35 fonts?

I've nothing planned into this direction.

> This way it is made clear that the PostScript font metrics provided
> with the driver are for the Adobe versions of the fonts as existing
> in PS Level 1 and 2 printers and that if you want to use the URW++
> fonts (as used in Ghostscript and most Linux/BSD systems today),
> with their PS level 3 extended charset and Euro support, you have to
> create the metrics yourself and install them somewhere as
> downloadable fonts (ideally under site-fonts/devps and downloaded
> from site-fonts/devps/download[.local],

Maybe a good guy is contributing metric files for the URW fonts
(together with proper changes to the generate/Makefile)?  I could then
add a urw.mdoc file (similar to the new ec.tmac) to load them.  The
greatest benefit would be immediate support for the Euro glyph.

> is the search path algorithm going to show up soon?).

Not yet, sorry.