Re: [Groff] groff_ms.man

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff_ms.man
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:43:16 +0100 (CET)

> > If you all agree, I'll add it to troff.rc -- what about using the
> > entity name `ell' which is probably more mnemonic?
>
> I think that would be appropriate.  As well, the other proposal,
> \[...] could be a backup macro, in case spacing has to be redefined
> in the main definition (depending in the language, e.g., French
> typographic rules are, errr, convolvulate).

An ellipsis is an indivisable entity, so it is not affected by French
or German typographic rules.

\[...] is better than \[ell]; I will install only one name to avoid
redundancy.  It's quite easy to redefine that if necessary.

After some thinking, I wonder whether think the following is the right
one:

Note that there is no `\&' at the end.  Similar to a sentence stop,
the user has to decide whether the ellipsis is ending a sentence or
not.  So the relevant grammatical question is whether an ellipsis
really ends a sentence -- I've already seen a solution which uses
four dots instead of three to mark that.

Please comment.  Is there any reference for that?