Re: [Groff] groff_ms.man

From: Rick Richardson
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff_ms.man
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:35:49 -0600

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 03:45:49PM +0000, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> Rick Richardson wrote:
> >
> > I think this is wrong.  Its ASCII for fullstop + ellipsis.
>
> How can you tell? ;-)
>
> fullstop + ellipsis would mean missing text at the start of a sentence.

or after the end, "The boat exploded. ... We swam to shore."

At any rate, here's an interesting reference that argues for
separate 3 point and 4 point ellipses.

        http://www.lookoutnow.com/dtp/alas-en.htm

        "Each point in an ellipsis, in terms of finer typography, is
        separated by whatever the present word spacing is; it
        blends best that way. Moreover, depending on how it is
        used, the ellipsis can have either three or four points. To
        use the three-point ellipsis character with a period for a
        four-point ellipsis is simply bad taste, or the mark of a
        novice. "

-Rick

--
Rick Richardson  address@hidden        http://home.mn.rr.com/richardsons/