Re: [Groff] groff_ms.man

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff_ms.man
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:42:37 +0100 (CET)

> Part of my problem with all things TeX is that they tend to insist
> on a certain format -- Harvard numbering, body text lines up with
> headings -- that went out of style 15 years ago outside of academia.

The format texinfo uses is intentionally strict to give a uniform
appearance for all manuals.

For normal LaTeX documents I fully agree that the `standard' class
files are extremely ugly -- they won't be changed for backwards
compatibility.  The LaTeX team recommends to use other packages.  For
example, my favourite class (especially for German) is `koma-script'.

> One can say that groff shares the same problem, but I'm slowly
> working on a macro package to take care of it.

Hear, hear!  Details, please.