Re: [Groff] Re: grn problems with xditview

From: Daniel Senderowicz
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: grn problems with xditview
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:23:39 -0800 (PST)

>> I have a document quite thick that has a tutorial and a description
>> of the gremlin file format.  Unfortunately I don't have it in a
>> computer form.  Give me a snail mail address and I send it to you.
>
>Thanks for the offer, but I fear I don't have enough time to learn
>gremlin...

OK. I'll type the gremlin file format and send it one of these
days.

>I will delete it -- shall I delete the whole `-s' stuff from grn also?
>Or do you plan to extend groff's drawing capabilities?

Just delete it from the man page. If I come out with an idea it
will be handy to have the code already written for a flag.

>> >What do you think about adding a grn command to adjust BASE_THICKNESS?
>>
>> grn has already the option of adjusting the line thickness
>> individually, that is a more flexible feature (thick = x, narrow =
>> y, etc).
>
>But here you can only use integers.

You're right. The original man page says:

"Set the thickness of gremlin's narrow (medium or thick) lines
to N. The default is 1 (3 and 5) pixels."

So having an integer as a scaling factor makes sense only if
you're magnifying the minimum quantum (pixels), but now that we
are using points, we can switch it to a floating point number
(patch sent). The man page should also be modified to
something like:

narrow N
   (medium, or thick) Sets the thickness of gremlin's narrow
   (medium or thick) lines to N * BASE_THICKNESS. The default for N
   is 1 (3 and 5). BASE_THICKNESS is 0.15p that can be modified at
   compile time

Dan